Spicy Chai Pumpkin Pie
04 November 2020
The quintessential Autumn treat? Pumpkin pie!
We’d love to share our take on this classic, made with our chai latte powder. This recipe and short video will set you up for a delicious afternoon.
We’d love to see your creations! Use #spicychaipumpkinpie
Spicy Chai Pumpkin Pie by BARÚ
For 8 - 10 servings.
Here's what you need :
for the pie crust :
- 158g flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 45g butter (chilled)
- 74g shortening or margarine
- 60g cold water
for the cream cheese :
- 80g cream cheese
- 50g brown sugar
- 8g flour
- 1 tablesspoon spicy chai powder by BARÚ
- 1 egg
- 60g double cream
for the pumpkin pie mix :
- 300g pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon spicy chai powder by BARÚ
- 2 eggs
- 120g double cream
- 100g brown sugar
Now let's start baking!
Here's how to make the pie crust :
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt. Add the butter and shortening/margarine. Using a fork, mix all ingredients (you can also mix it with your hands but make sure the butter doesn't melt).
- Add the cold water, one tablespoon at the time. Mix all ingredients until you have a smooth mixture (you can add a little more water if needed).
- Make a "ball" but be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrapping. Chill in a fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin, and make sure it fits a round baking tin of 23cm. The dough should beabout 0.5cm thick. Press the dough firmly into the sides and bottom of your baking tin.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper. (crunch up the parchment paper first so you can easily shape it to fit into the crust). Fill the pie with baking weight or baking beans. Make sure they are evenly spread out.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the parchment paper and baking weights/beans afterwards.
Now prepare the cream cheese mix:
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, brown sugar, flour and chai powder.
- Add the egg - beat with a mixer.
- Add the double cream - mix with a mixer until smooth.
- Set aside.
Now prepare the pumpkin pie mix:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, salt, eggs, brown sugar, double cream and chai powder using a whisk.
- Add 1/2 of the cream cheese mix using a whisk.
- Pour the pumpkin pie mixture in the pie crust that has been pre-baked earlier.
- Take the rest of the cream cheese mix and add little drops into the mixture using a teaspoon. Then use a skewer to make swirls and create a nice pattern.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the centre of te pie jiggles just a little slightly.
- Allow to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream.
Watch the video & enjoy!
Photos and video made by the dessert lab.